||CASA of Los Angeles
||201 Centre Plaza Drive Ste 1100
||Monterey Park, CA 91754-2142
|Position: Community Outreach Director
Location: CASA of Los Angeles, Edelman Children’s Court, Monterey Park, CA
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience
CASA of Los Angeles (“CASA”) activates volunteers who advocate for abused and neglected foster children in the court and the community. A CASA, or Court Appointed Special Advocate, is a trained and supported volunteer, appointed by a judge to advocate in the best interest of a foster child. CASA actively engages, trains and supports these volunteers.
In 2010 CASA successfully transitioned from a public/private partnership supported primarily by public funds into an entrepreneurial, volunteer-driven nonprofit funded by community grants and donations. At CASA, our goal is to increase our “footprint” in sprawling Los Angeles County by better engaging our many diverse communities and moving our program closer to potential volunteers and the children we serve.
Overview of Outreach Position
CASA is seeking a dynamic and highly experienced community outreach director to significantly grow the size of their volunteer base, inclusively throughout the diverse communities of LA County. They will be responsible for aggressively engaging new volunteers from the general market as well as African-Americans, Latinos, and other nationalities and ethnic groups currently underrepresented as volunteers.
The successful individual will be responsible for specifically directing and managing volunteer outreach for CASA in conjunction with partnering on general community outreach with the development team. They will also be responsible for engaging, training and directing current volunteers to also do effective outreach for CASA.
This individual will collaborate with the director of development on all areas of communications and marketing to ensure that the volunteer outreach communications are in alignment with the rest of the communications at CASA.
They will be a proven leader who will be able to provide a continuing improvement perspective to the management of the volunteer pipeline. They will have a track record of successfully engaging volunteers in the community and will also be an excellent communicator, who is results orientated and mission driven.
• Undertake an assessment of CASA’s current volunteer engagement and general outreach methods.
• Formulate a diverse volunteer engagement and outreach plan and determine strategies to grow the current volunteer base from 400-500 in 2013 and to 700 by year ending 2014.
• Responsible for generating broad community support and increasing volunteers numbers in both the general market and in diverse areas of LA County such as the Hispanic and African American communities.
• Responsible for building awareness and volunteer recruitment for the Antelope Valley service area and Santa Clarita.
• Responsible for collaborating with the development team on outreach strategies that will enable CASA to move towards financial engagement within these communities.
• Responsible for setting priorities, developing a work schedule and monitoring progress towards goals using clearly defined metrics.
• Solve problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
• Analyze systems, structures and technology needed to establish an incoming volunteer pipeline.
• Network and research other CASA organizations and similar volunteer driven organizations and identify which pieces would work effectively at CASA.
• Collaborate with the director of volunteer services and the program director on improving our understanding of volunteer target profiles and screening criteria that contribute to successful volunteer child advocates.
• Develop and implement effective strategies to attract the right volunteers with the right skills.
• Engage current volunteers and internal staff members to participate in outreach efforts in the community.
• Responsible for overseeing outreach communications and social media and for implementing a communications strategy that is in line with the CASA communications plan managed by the development director.
• Administer and monitor expenditures against the approved budget.
• Participate as a member of the CASA management team.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends. Travel throughout Los Angeles County required.
• Other relevant duties as assigned by the executive director.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
• Knowledge of culturally and geographically diverse communities in LA County including Antelope Valley and African American, Hispanic and other communities.
• Experience with identifying and reaching a wide variety of community target audiences.
• Proven track record of implementing effective outreach strategies in diverse areas of the community.
• Demonstrated experience engaging, managing and motivating staff and volunteers.
• Experience managing a marketing/communications consultant.
• Experience directing a consultant on all types of media including print, broadcast, outdoor and internet.
• Experience with recruiting and engaging volunteers through compelling, powerful and authentic social media campaigns.
• Proven track record using targeted interactive communications to successfully engage volunteers.
• Ability to connect and work harmoniously with diverse types of organizations.
• Excellent public speaking and facilitation skills.
• Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteer management.
• Superior organizational skills to track and monitor deadlines, reports, communications, etc.
• Excellent written communication skills
• Ability to make decisions and to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks.
• Experience in organization management with an ability to design and implement policies, processes and structures.
• Ability to collect relevant data and to engage in meaningful monitoring, evaluation and reporting to stakeholders.
• Advanced degree in a relevant field.
• Experience in change management with a proven track record of successfully growing the size of a volunteer base.
• Spanish speaking
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
CASA of Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within.